Science-backed Benefits of MSM Supplements
Methylsulfonylmethane, more commonly known as MSM, is a popular dietary supplementused to treat a wide array of symptoms and conditions.
It’s a sulfur-containing compound found naturally in plants, animals, and humans. It can also be produced in a lab to create dietary supplements in powder or capsule form. MSM is widely used in the alternative medicine field and by people looking for a natural way to relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation and boost immunity. In addition, research supports its use in treating several conditions, amongst which joint pain and symptoms of arthritis.
Can Decrease Joint Pain
One of the most popular uses of MSM is to decrease joint or muscle pain. It has been shown to benefit those with joint degeneration, a common cause of pain in the knees, back, hands and hips. Studies have shown that MSM significantly reduces inflammation in your body. It also inhibits the breakdown of cartilage, a flexible tissue that protects the ends of your bones in joints (1).
A study with 100 people over the age of 50 found that treatment with a supplement containing 1,200 mg of MSM for 12 weeks decreased pain, stiffness and swelling in the joints, compared to a placebo (2). The group receiving the supplement also reported improved overall quality of life and less difficulty walking and gettingout of bed (2).
Another study of 32 people with lower back pain found that taking a glucosamine supplement containingMSM significantly reduced lumbar stiffness and pain upon movement, plus greatly increased quality of life (3).
SUMMARY – Studies have shown that MSM is effective in reducing joint pain, stiffness and swelling. In doing so, it can improve your quality of life.
Helps Alleviate Arthritis Symptoms by Reducing Pain and Stiffness
Arthritis is a common inflammatory condition that causes pain, stiffness, and a reduced range of motion inyour joints. Since MSM has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, it’s often used as a natural alternative to medications to improve arthritis-related symptoms.
A study in 49 people with knee osteoarthritis found that taking 3.4 grams of MSM per day for 12 weeks reduced pain and stiffness and improved physical function, compared to a placebo (4).
Additionally, it can enhance the effectiveness of other common supplements used to treat arthritis such as glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate and boswellic acid*. One study found that combining MSM with glucosamine and chondroitin was more effective at decreasing pain and stiffness in people with knee osteoarthritis than glucosamine and chondroitin alone (5).
Another study showed that a daily supplement containing 5 grams of MSM and 7 grams of boswellic acid was more effective than glucosamine at reducing pain and improving function in people with kneeosteoarthritis (6). What’s more, the people who received the MSM and boswellic acid supplement were less dependent on anti-inflammatory medications than the glucosamine group (6).
SUMMARY – MSM supplements have been shown to help reduce pain and stiffness in people with arthritis. They may also help improve physical function.
The use of MSM is very safe. MSM is one of the least toxic substances known. Subjects who took 1 gram ofMSM per kilogram of body weight daily for one month experienced no negative side effects. Slight detoxification symptoms may (temporarily) occur when taking MSM, such as loose stools, skin rashes, mildheadaches, and fatigue. If necessary, the dose can then be slightly reduced.
Build up the dose gradually over 2 to 3 weeks (the dose can be increased every 2 days). Take the dose dividedover the day with meals (or on an empty stomach). The maximum dose also depends on intestinal tolerance and (severity of) the condition. Under the supervision of a professional, the dose can be increased if necessary.
LIPOCELLTECH™ – latest generation of liposomal technology
Liposomes have long been used as an effective pharmaceutical delivery method. More recently the liposome delivery method is becoming more common in natural health. The active ingredients are enveloped in a bubble of phospholipids which are fat molecules that make up the main part of the cell wall. This protects the active ingredients and allows them to better survive the digestive process and enter the intestines. Here the liposome fuses with the cell walls and the active ingredients are released and enter the blood stream. The phospholipids of the liposomes are then used in the body as they are identical to the cell membrane phospholipids.
Our supplements are powdered liposomal products from Vitamunda and use LipoCellTech technology. Advantages:
Only pure ingredients. No fillers, preservatives, or other non-active ingredients
Powder has a neutral flavor
Long shelf life. Powder in capsules has a shelf life of up to 2 years from the date of production, without losing its efficacy
Natural production method without use of heat, pressure, or chemicals
Guaranteed high-quality liposomal products
1) Ezaki J, Hashimoto M, Hosokawa Y, Ishimi Y. Assessment of safety and efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane on bone and kneejoints in osteoarthritis animal model. J Bone Miner Metab. 2013 Jan;31(1):16-25. doi: 10.1007/s00774-012-0378-9. Epub 2012 Aug 10. PMID: 23011466.
2) Xu G, Zhou T, Gu Y, et al. Evaluation of the Effect of Mega MSM on Improving Joint Function in Populations Experiencing Joint Degeneration. Int J Biomed Sci. 2015;11(2):54-60.
3) Tant L, Gillard B, Appelboom T. Open-label, randomized, controlled pilot study of the effects of a glucosamine complex on Low back pain. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2005;66(6):511-521. doi:10.1016/j.curtheres.2005.12.009
4) Debbi EM, Agar G, Fichman G, Ziv YB, Kardosh R, Halperin N, Elbaz A, Beer Y, Debi R. Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled study. BMC ComplementAltern Med. 2011 Jun 27;11:50. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-11-50. PMID: 21708034; PMCID: PMC3141601.
5) Lubis AMT, Siagian C, Wonggokusuma E, Marsetyo AF, Setyohadi B. Comparison of Glucosamine-ChondroitinSulfate with and without Methylsulfonylmethane in Grade I-II Knee Osteoarthritis: A Double Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Acta Med Indones. 2017 Apr;49(2):105-111. PMID: 28790224.
6) Notarnicola A, Maccagnano G, Moretti L, Pesce V, Tafuri S, Fiore A, Moretti B. Methylsulfonylmethane and boswellic acidsversus glucosamine sulfate in the treatment of knee arthritis: Randomized trial. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2016 Mar;29(1):140-6. doi: 10.1177/0394632015622215. Epub 2015 Dec 18. PMID: 26684635; PMCID: PMC5806735.